Monday, February 22, 2010

wish list

When I was a little kid, my dad brought me 2 hardbound books, which, only God knows where they are. They are two classic stories namely, Black Beauty and Alice in Wonderland. I was able to read the first chapter of Black Beauty, but since I was no fan of big and really thick books when I am in grade school, I simply put the books on the shelf, just for decoration, just to boast to visitors that I do read classics, and I want them in hard binds. Then, when I am all ready to read those books, they are gone! I dunno how it all happened, and it saddens me too much. Those prints were very rare and very expensive.
Enough for the off-topic introduction, those books just came into my mind because I am so much into reading again. Even if I still got lots of books piled at home, there are still lots of books I want to acquire, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Below, I will have my list of books I have finished reading, books I am currently reading (I do read simultaneously), books I have at home that are waiting to be read and books that I am dying to have. I just wish that the last list would soon move to the second list.
Books read in the last 5 years:
1.      Bob Ong Books (yes, all of them)
2.      My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult (currently with my cousin, Zyme)
3.      Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
4.      Clash of the Civilizations and Remaking of World Order
5.      Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck
6.      Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (adapted as The Golden Compass)
7.      The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
8.      Who Moved My Cheese
9.      Door to December by Dean Koontz
10.     Voice of the Night by Dean Koontz
11.     Night Chills by Dean Koontz
12.     False Memory by Dean Koontz
13.     Mind to Murder by P.D. James
14.     Hundred Years of Solitude by G.G. Marquez
15.     To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
16.     The Old Man and the Sea
17.     The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (though I believe that book is not complete, so this still appears on my 4th list, still checking on the shelves of bookstores for other volumes)
Books I am currently reading:
1.      Culture Shock! Germany
2.      The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (last in the series)
3.      Anna- Geschichten (borrowed from Goethe, by the way, not mine)
4.      Novembernacht by Christoph Wortberg (again borrowed from Goethe, great read indeed)
5.      Adventures of Alice in Wonderland 
Books waiting to be read:
1.      The Kite Runner
2.      Fruitcake (related to Eraserheads album Fruitcake)
3.      Das Verlorene Symbol (German edition of The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown)
4.      Die Brooklyn Revue (German edition of The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster)
5.      Don Quixote
Books I want to have ASAP:
1.      Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
2.      Lyras Oxford (this is like the Hobbit to the series LOTR, this ones for Philip Pullmans Dark Materials, and I am wondering where can I get this one!)
3.      A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
4.      Classical Mythology: Myths, Legends and Fantasies (I only have the Hamilton edition)
5.      Clockwork Orange
6.      1984
7.      Arsene Lupin: A Gentleman Thief
8.      Little Prince
9.      Time Travelers Wife
10.     Animal Farm
11.     Huckleberry Finn
12.     Tom Sawyer
13.     The Secret Garden
14.     Cyrano de Bergerac (I remember using some parts of this in our Public Speaking class in High School)
15.     Pride and Prejudice
16.     Les Miserables
17.     Oliver Twist
18.     The Count of Monte Cristo
19.     Canterbury Tales (I have read this, I just want my own copy)
20.     Memoirs of a Geisha
21.     Nicholas Sparks books (ALL!)
22.     A Child Called It
23.     A Thousand Splendid Suns
24.     Lord of the Rings Trilogy
25.     The Hobbit
There are still some books that I find interesting that I want to read, but are really not top of my priority, most I must say, are more for teens/ young adults, just some light reading, but I fancy the classics more these days I might update these lists from time to time ;-)
How I wish Power Books do carry it all, then, I have no problem searching somewhere else, however, Im afraid they dont.

5 comments:

  1. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    If you like those book, You'll like Terry Pratchett maybe;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm, i'll check it out this weekend... thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy, i am never read this book but i am love its movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://img.flipkart.com/bk_imgs/958/9780679417958.jpg I thought id share my copy of Alice in Wonderland. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TopThing: that is why I wanted to read the trilogy, plus The Hobbit, because I was fascinated by the films as well, and usually, well, most of the movie adaptation I have seen, doesn't give justification to the book, books are still better than films, IMHO...

    @Meadow/MissUnlabelable: yay! you know an e-book of Alice in Wonderland? I so want to read it first before seeing it on 3D... ^_^

    ReplyDelete